My Top 17 Fall-Proof Marketing Tips
Fall is an ideal time to promote your business. People are back in town after vacation and kids are back to school. Everyone’s ready for a fresh start. Take advantage of the season’s opportunities with these marketing ideas.
Everyone has their favorite aspect about fall. The colors, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Rain, Snow… whatever it is…there is a reason that fall love runs strong. Here are my favorite things to get your business fall-proof.
Spread the Love with Social Media
1. Launch an Instagram photo contest. Invite customers to post pictures of themselves engaged in their favorite fall activities (apple picking, flag football, etc.) with a designated hashtag. Choose a winner and offer them a free gift, and re-gram the photo on your account.
2. Host a social IRL party. Invite all your Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram followers to meet up in person at your store for a shopping party with special promotions and giveaways.
3. Start a deal-of-the-week email. Send targeted messages to customers with coupons, discounts, freebies, or anything you think your business offers in value.
4. Advertise on local blogs. Identify the most popular blogs in your community for news, style, food — whatever best aligns with your business — and advertise special promotions for readers. Not only are the rates less expensive, but you can more easily reach your target market.
Brint it to the Charities
5. Hold a “can-do” event. Email customers offering them a discount when they bring in canned and other nonperishable food items to donate to a local food pantry. If you are a virtual based business, host it on your Instagram! Have them snap a shot of them dropping off the canned goods and send them their discount or freebie. Talk about fall-proof!
6. Lend your space: Reach out to a favorite local charity, like an animal shelter, and offer them your shop for a fundraising event.
7. Donate to local auctions! Fall is a huge fundraising time for schools and charity organizations, so reach out to some of your favorites and offer goods and services for raffles and silent auctions. You’ll raise awareness about your business and be a good neighbor.
Keep It Local
8. Sponsor a team. Support young athletes in a way that fits with your business! Your local boys and girls club may have an idea of teams that need sponsors.
9. Hit the festival circuit. Organizations will usually host a fall fair or Oktoberfest. Find out how to set up a booth or get involved in sponsoring the event.
10. Hire fresh talent. Do you need new photography, graphic design, or social media help? Reach out to local high schools, colleges, and design schools for talented young employees. They can give your business a fresh perspective (and audience).
11. Host a swap party. Create an event (better yet – tie it with a charity!). If everyone of your fans brings in an article to swap or donate – imagine all the good it does! Donate any unclaimed items to charity.
12. Team up with local businesses. Work with other neighborhood shops to pool your resources (and social media reach) to throw an autumn-themed weekend event with food, entertainment, and lots of special promotions.
13. Bring in the experts. Identify common problems among your customers (home organization, wardrobe ideas, hair updates), and designate a day to offer the expertise of your staff and outside consultants with free in-store consultations.
14. Throw a “treat yo’self” party. Email your best customers and invite them to a special event with complimentary manicures, chair massages, and makeup application along with cocktails and appetizers.
15. Get media savvy. Reach out to local TV news, radio shows, and podcasts to pitch seasonal stories that relate to your business, like fall fashion updates, seasonal recipes, and more.
Holiday Shopping Alert!
16. Spend now, save later. Holiday shopping season is looming. Tempt your customers with a deal: if they spend a certain amount now, they’ll get a designated amount off their purchase after Thanksgiving.
17. Celebrate new holidays. Most of the time Halloween and Thanksgiving get all the glory. You can make your business stand out with fun, social media–friendly holidays unique to your business, like a “Sweater Weather Saturday” sale or a “Pumpkin Spice Appreciation Day” event.
Do you have a favorite go-to fall-proof marketing tip? Let us know in the comments! Your tip could get featured on our Instagram!
I will see you next time!